Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Baked Dog Cookies (Good for Cats Too)

This treat recipe is a little more involved than my other treat recipe, but probably better. The dehydrated cookies are very dry and hard for little Halle to swallow. These have a moist texture and are freezable so you can make a whole big batch and freeze what you don't use right away. 

3 cups ground bones
2 eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin
1/4 cup sun butter (or any other nut butter)

Step one:
Make yourself some broth from bones. Any animal will do. I save bones from almost everything I eat in a bag in the freezer and when I have about 2 lbs, I make broth.

Step two:
Grind bones. I use a meat grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid stand mixer. For big bones, I'll use them for broth 2 or 3 times so that they're soft enough to put through the grinder.

Step three:
Make cookies! Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg. Add all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and blend thoroughly. Line baking sheets with parchment and scoop cookies into the size you want. Press them into flat cookies. Bake for about 45 minutes or until edges start to brown. Let cool before serving.

Keep in mind the size of your dog when making these cookies. I use a small ice cream scoop that makes the cookies about 1 1/4" diameter. I give Jack (65 lbs) and Hazel (50 lbs) each one whole cookie and break one in half to give to Halle (17 lbs).

No comments:

Post a Comment