Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lamb Satay with Sunbutter Sauce



I used to make Chicken Satay all the time. For a while it was my signature dish. I adapted my Chicken Satay Recipe from "365 Great Barbecue & Grilling Recipes" by Lonnie Gandara. My parents had  the complete series of "365 Ways" cookbooks and I think they used "365 Ways to Cook Chicken" every day for a year. Growing up, we ate chicken so much I'm surprised I don't cluck. My dad used to make "chicken and sauce" almost every night. The sauce was always a different color, sometimes it was red, sometimes it was yellow, but it always consisted of onions, bell peppers and a ton of garlic. It was almost always served with brown rice and a salad with balsamic vinaigrette. My dad was consistent.

I took the grilling cookbook with me when I left home because I fucking love to grill. Then I became a vegetarian. That lasted a year; I'm over it. This recipe is an adaption from that book, which I no longer posses. (I think I gave it back to my parents). I used lamb instead of chicken and made the marinade more lamb adapted (i.e. cinnamon for a stronger and earthier flavor). To make it paleo, I eschewed the peanut butter in the dipping sauce and replaced it with sun butter. You could probably use cashew butter instead. Almond butter would work well too.

1 lbs lamb cut into cubes
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp lemon grass
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne

Combine all ingredients and marinade for an hour or longer. 

1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/8 cup onion, minced
1 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp  red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
Juice 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp coconut aminos
1/4 cup Sunbutter
2 Tbsp coconut milk

Heat oil in a small sauce pan. Add onion and saute until translucent, then add garlic, red pepper flakes and cumin. after about 5-10 minutes, add lime juice and aminos. let that simmer for about 5 minutes then stir in Sunbutter and then coconut milk and remove from flame. Serve warm. stir in water or more coconut milk if you want a thinner sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kat,
    Great adaptation (of course I appreciate that you subbed in SunButter since I blog for them and I'm always looking for recipes, which is how I found your post). But as a fellow chicken lover, I'm eager to try this for our family. (and to use the coconut milk I just got and don't know what else to do with..) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the recipe! I have to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete