Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Indonesian Style Beef Liver (Sambal Goreng Hati)

I discovered this recipe while searching for liver recipes. I adapted this after reading several recipes. I found one recipe in English and had to use Google translate for the rest, which yeilded some entertaining results such as: "If necessary, add a little oil within blender to simplify the process of destruction". I can't get fresh galangal in my area, so I had to use galangal powder. I tweaked the recipe a bit and I've never had this traditionally prepared, so I don't know how authentic this recipe is. However, it is delicious. This is a great recipe if you're still trying to get used to the taste of liver because the sauce has a very strong flavor. You might want to add some cayenne to it if your red chillies aren't spicy enough. I used purple potatoes for this, but any small potato will do.

6-8 small potatoes
1 lbs Beef liver
1 cup chopped shallots
4 cloves of garlic
4 red chilies
1 inch of fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp galangal
1/2 tsp corriander
1/4 tsp lemongrass
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil (divided)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp coconut aminos
1 Tbsp tamarind paste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast potatoes for abut 30 minutes.

In a small food processor, combine shallots, ginger, garlic, cayenne, coriander, lemongrass and salt. Puree into a paste.

Cut liver into small chunks or strips. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in pan. brown liver, then set aside.

Add more oil to the pan and cook potatoes until brown. Add the paste and salt. and cook for 3-5 minutes until the spices become fragrant.

Add the coconut milk, aminos, and tamarind paste. Bring to a boil. Add the liver back to te pan and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes to reduce the sauce. Remove from heat and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment